Now, the first of December was covered with snow
So was the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston
Though the Berkshires seemed dreamlike on account of that frostin’
With ten miles behind me and ten thousand more to go…
In the news today…
- E&E News PM reports the House voted Wednesday afternoon to block a looming freight rail strike and give workers seven days of paid leave.
- Argus reports the US House of Representatives approved a bill to override union objections to a proposed rail worker contract, a move meant to avoid a nationwide strike that threatens widespread economic disruption.
- Argus reports US rail volume fell last week from year earlier levels as the industry edged closer to a potential nationwide strike.
- E&E Greenwire reports President Joe Biden pledged Wednesday to protect vast swaths of public lands in the Mojave Desert sacred to Yuman-speaking Native American tribes.
- New York Times reports President Biden pledged Wednesday that he would preserve the Spirit Mountain area in southern Nevada, which contains some of the most biologically diverse and culturally significant lands in the Mojave Desert.
- E&E Daily reports President Joe Biden on Wednesday vowed to protect public lands in the Mojave Desert sacred to Yuman-speaking Native American tribes, but the designation of new national monument in Nevada is not expected until after the new year.
- Politico Pro reports the Biden administration announced on Thursday new policies meant to give Native American tribes more say in evaluating mining proposals as the U.S. moves to boost the domestic supply chain for critical minerals needed to fuel the green transition.
- Bloomberg reports the Inflation Reduction Act is starting to change the way bankers view their climate targets.