In the news today:
- DeSmog reports fossil fuel industries are making requests for aid in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Mining Magazine reports Alliance has stopped work at all of its Illinois Basin mines.
- WFIE reports River View Coal, whose parent company is Alliance Resource Partners, is laying off hundreds of employees.
- The Bluefield Daily Telegraph reports two coal mining operations in Virginia have announced temporary closures.
- Argus reports coal-fired generation in three of the nation’s power grids fell by more than a third in the first quarter compared with a year earlier.
- Argus reports U.S. thermal coal exports rose on a year-over-year basis for the first time in 13 months in February.
- Casper Star Tribune reports Wyoming mineral industries are asking to be deemed ‘essential’ in the event of a shelter-in-place order.
- Salem News (OH) carries an op-ed by Michael Stumo, CEO of the Coalition for a Prosperous America, in which he argues that the global crisis has highlighted U.S. import dependence on China and it’s time to support domestic supply chains for minerals.