In the news today…
- Argus and E&E Climatewire report Pacificorp is leaning toward retiring more coal-fired power plants between 2022 and 2042.
- Argus reports CCU Coal and Construction will lay off 205 employees by the end of next month.
- E&E Energywire reports Santee Cooper will shut down a coal plant, half its fleet, and add 1 gigawatt of solar generation in a plan to insulate the company against a possible sale.
- The Daily Beast reports Senator Mitch McConnell denied money to coal miners for healthcare but advocated funds for an aluminum plant with ties to Russia.
- E&E Energywire reports conservatives and coal groups are fighting the ACE rule in court, stating it exceeds EPA authority to regulate emissions from coal-fired power plants.
- E&E Greenwire reports industry groups argue the WOTUS rule should have been stricken from the books, as opposed to being sent back to EPA and the Army Corps of Engineers.