In the news today and from the weekend…
- Reuters reports that grid operator MISO issued a hot weather alert for Tuesday in Missouri and Iowa, calling on energy companies to review outage plans and avoid capacity shortfalls.
- E&E Daily reports the Democrats’ permitting overhaul plans hangs in the balance this week as lawmakers inch toward the Sept. 30 deadline to pass a government funding bill to prevent a shutdown.
- The Hill reports the White House-brokered agreement to avert a railroad strike has the potential to fall apart, threatening widespread economic disruption right before the midterm elections.
- Yahoo! reports coal is making a comeback globally.
- Bismarck Tribune reports a $1.1 million research project underway in North Dakota will help develop a model for using agricultural grazing land for carbon capture and offsetting emissions.