In the news today and from the weekend…
- Mining.com reports a North Carolina county imposed a 60-day mining moratorium on Friday, giving officials time to rework local regulations before Piedmont Lithium Inc applies for a necessary zoning variance.
- Politico Pro carries an interview with Brian Anderson on his role in finding new paths for coal-reliant communities.
- Politico Pro reports hundreds of union members from multiple states rallied yesterday for Alabama miners who have been on strike against Warrior Met Coal Inc. since early April seeking contract improvements.
- Argus reports US coal exports reached a two-year high in June, helped by a surge in shipments to China, India and Japan.
- The Wall Street Journal reports renewables are replacing coal in the U.S., except in rural areas.