In the news today…
- CNN reports that investigators are zeroing in on two possible motives centered around extremist behavior in NC power stations attacks, sources say.
- E&E Greenwire reports West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin on Wednesday released his latest infrastructure permitting proposal, confirming fears among environmentalists that the plan goes further than an earlier draft.
- Washington Examiner reports Sen. Manchin faced a second defeat last night with release of a defense bill agreement excluding his permitting reform bill.
- E&E Daily reports Sen. Joe Manchin isn’t giving up on trying to pass his overhaul of federal environmental rules, but the changes he’s made to the bill may have further alienated Democrats while doing little to assuage skeptical Republicans.
- Axios reports the Department of Energy’s stats arm is out with a helpful explainer on the electricity sector’s transformation this century.
- E&E Climatewire reports Britain’s Conservative government Wednesday approved the United Kingdom’s first new coal mine in three decades, a decision condemned by environmentalists as a leap backward in the fight against climate change.