In the news today…
- North of 60 Mining News reports on the history of the General Mining Law.
- E&E Daily reports Democrats and Republicans alike say now could be the time to overhaul the 150-year-old federal law governing mining, but finding enough common ground to strike a deal will prove challenging.
- The Hill carries an op-ed which argues that passing the Clean Energy Minerals Reform Act of 2022 gives us the opportunity to learn from the mistakes of the fossil fuel industry, protect the environment and at-risk communities, as well as develop a sustainable economy once and for all.
- E&E News PM reports without safeguards put in place by the U.S. government, President Biden’s recent order freeing up federal funds for mining-related projects could potentially wind up fueling human rights abuses and environmental destruction overseas, an international nonprofit group warned White House officials last month.
- Roll Call reports Republican lawmakers and scholars are ratcheting up their arguments that the Securities and Exchange Commission lacks the statutory authority to require public companies to disclose climate-related financial risks.