In the news today…
- The Washington Post reports black lung disease is on the rise and that the Black Lung Disability Trust Fund is on unstable ground.
- The Journal reports the public comment period on the environmental analysis concerning the expansion of the Hesperus coal mine in Colorado is now open.
- The Lexington Herald-Leader carries an editorial in which the author argues that the coal industry is hurting its workers as it struggles to stay afloat.
- The Associated Press reports New Mexico regulators have decided on a course for how they will handle the closure of the San Juan Generating Station.
- Argus reports DOE has selected six projects to receive more than $14 million in federal funding to develop new coal-fired power plant technology.
- Bloomberg Environment reports coal-fired utilities aren’t getting the flexibility they had hoped for in the ACE rule.
- Utility Dive reports Sen. Bill Cassidy has asked DOE to focus on carbon capture efforts for natural gas instead of coal and is co-sponsoring a bill to that effect.