In the news today…
- WVPB reports the downturn in the coal industry has affected the riverboat industry as well, which made much of its money towing coal barges.
- The Wyoming Tribune Eagle reports experts disagree on whether coal’s decline will level out or become a steeper drop.
- Argus reports southeastern US ports closed in preparation for Hurricane Dorian as the storm is predicted to turn largely away from Florida and head north.
- Mining.com reports copper fell to its lowest since 2017 as investors faced fresh evidence of a global slowdown and fading prospects for a de-escalation in the US-China trade war.
- Politico Pro reports Sen. Cory Booker’s plan to combat climate change aims to have a carbon neutral economy by 2045 and would bar all new fossil fuel leases on federal land.
- Politico Pro reports Sen. Amy Klobuchar’s plan to combat climate change would focus on reinstating Obama-era policies such as the Clean Power Plan.
- Politico Pro reports Julian Castro’s plan to combat climate change which would aim for a 50 percent greenhouse gas reduction by 2030.
- Politico Pro reports Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s plan to address climate change which would target eliminating greenhouse gas emissions from buildings, vehicles and the electric grid while creating millions of new jobs in manufacturing and clean energy.
- Politico Pro reports Mayor Pete Buttigieg’s three-pronged plan to tackle climate change by calling for an economy-wide carbon price and by targeting a “thriving” carbon removal industry by 2040.
- Politico Pro reports Sen. Kamala Harris’ plan to address climate change, calling for $10 trillion in public and private funding to create a carbon-neutral economy and invoking her past as a prosecutor to target companies that are driving greenhouse gas emissions.