In the news today…
- Wyoming Public Media reports DHS explicitly extended essential status to the coal industry over the weekend.
- Politico Pro reports a dozen Republican senators have called on Interior Secretary David Bernhardt to suspend or reduce federal royalty payments for oil, gas and coal production.
- Times West Virginian carries a letter which argues that, while coal is essential in the long term, mines should close since the mines are prime targets for the coronavirus.
- WKU reports Paringa Resources CEO has resigned.
- Quartz reports the coronavirus pandemic is accelerating the demise of coal.
- The Casper Star Tribune reports a newly approved mine expansion will bring jobs and coal well into 2031.
- E&E Energywire reports many energy trade groups are nervous about weathering the novel coronavirus pandemic as fundraising events are cancelled and members’ cash dwindles.